The Village of Birchwood Trustees held the monthly Board Meeting on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. at the Birchwood Village Hall. Roll call: Seffinga, VanGilder, Zillmer, Small and Hurckman all Present. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Police Report – Chief of Police Adam Brunclik reported he received $4,000 from the Ticket and Clicket grant, which he will like to use to outfit the squad. Finished up death investigation, helped with a man hunt during the week-end. It was decided to set up a meeting with Edgewater regarding the Police Service contract.
Maintenance Report – Tucker Fee reported they were getting ready for winter, picked up extra glycerin for the Treatment Plan as the company we are getting the glycerin from is going to be closed for a while.
Public Comment – Gwen Hilligoss said they fixed the ditch by her business but with the rain it has washed out. She was wondering if they could look at it again. Betsey Acrey was wondering when the Board was going to have a policy meeting regarding an audit for the utility department. She also asked about the blacktopping just pass Park will it now be done in the spring.
- Motion by Seffinga, second by Small to approve the agenda as presented, carried 5-0.
- Motion by Small, second by Hurckman to approve pay request for Pember Company
Invoice #8770 for $195,906.22 for sidewalks related items, carried 5-0. Motion by
Small, second by Hurckman to approve invoice #8072 for $110,923.19 preparation
of Main Street for Blacktopping, carried 5-0. Motion by Small, second by VanGilder
to approve Change Order #2 for the sidewalk extension on Main from Park to Balsam
from CDBG funds, carried 5-0. Zillmer asked Teresa Anderson from MSA if she would
look into the type of lights that are installed to make sure they are what we ordered.
Anderson said they will be doing the final walk through with Pember and Village
soon. Zillmer asked that it be posted so if the Board wants to hold a meeting after
the walk through they can. Nate Wittmer would like them to look at the sidewalk
in front of his business as there is some sidewalk that is cracked.
- Wesley Hoem from WISCAP gave a presentation on his water loss report that he has
been working on. He has set up a company on November 24th to do a leak detection
service for our system. He said he has only one community that he can work with this
year and would like to work with Birchwood. He will again do a water audit, set up
sources of leak detection services, look at the laterals and make a plan for finding
new leaks. He has set up a meter replacement form to keep track of meter testing that
is in place. He said according to the new PSC report we will have to put $3,500 away
each year for repairs. He presented an enrollment letter for signature.
- Jim Heim our Insurance Broker discussed the renewal of the health insurance
premiums. The premiums went up by 13% for the Village, he had other communities
that saw a 40% increase. Our premiums will be less because one person is not going to
be on the plan. Motion by Hurckman, second by Seffinga to approve the health
insurance quote of $3,200.23 per month beginning in January, roll call: Seffinga-yes,
VanGilder-yes, Zillmer-yes, Small-yes and Hurckman-yes, carried 5-0.
- Motion by Zillmer, second by Small to approve Resolution #174-15 Fire and Ambulance
Contract. Fire $7,212.97 and Ambulance $28,915.94. Roll call: Seffinga-yes,
VanGilder-yes, Zillmer-yes Small-yes and Hurckman-yes, carried 5-0.
- Motion by Small, second by Seffinga to approve Operator Licenses for Autumn Hegna,
and Talia Benjamin, carried 5-0.
- Discussion on the Cross Connection Control Ordinance. Zillmer thinks the ordinance
has to go to a public hearing, Busick thinks it needs to be passed and published.
Tabled until next month.
- Clerk- had information from the bank on our borrowing, Board would like more
- The Regular Board meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 9, 2015. The
Final budget meeting will be on Friday, November 13, 2015.
- The report on the PSC water rate increase was in the packets, rate will take effect
January 1, 2015.
- Discussion on the scope of service for the fire and ambulance part of the building.
Hurckman will take the form to the District Meeting and see what else they may
- The insurance proposal for property insurance was tabled until next month because
The deductibles were not shown.
Motion by Seffinga, second by Small to approve the minutes, new bills, payroll and acceptance of the treasurer’s report, carried 4-1 with Zillmer abstaining.
Hurckman read a notice that Paul’s Pizza Den has received an award to launch their
Frozen pizza business. She also read a resignation letter from Robert Beffa saying he
will be resigning November 25, 2015
Motion by Small, second by Seffinga to adjourn the meeting, carried 5-0.
Approved as written, December 9, 2015
Vicki Busick – Clerk-Treasurer