The Regular Monthly meeting of the Village of Birchwood Board of Trustees held on
Tuesday, March 10th, at 6:00 p.m.
at the Birchwood Village Hall, 101 N. Main Street, Birchwood, WI 54817.
Village President call meeting to order – meeting will be recorded
Pledge of Allegiance
Roll call by Clerk: VanGilder, Seffinga, Depoister, and Small – present. Hurckman (absent).
Verification of public notice by Clerk: Posted Village Hall, Gary’s Grocery, Post Office, and website.
Police Report by Adam Brunclik: None.
Maintenance Department Report: Jeremy Beecroft on vacation until after 8th and will be reviewing the well abandonments. He is ready to proceed. Sandy Beffa has Kraemer coming in. Everyone on list is in contact with Beecroft. Ivy Hellman should not be on list as we could not find a well there. Jeff Owens has not been reachable. Small indicated she will take a card and give to him. Gene Marcinske is in limbo with Kraemer. There may be a few stragglers, i.e. Nicole Philips. Attorney indicates we have to contact them with list of those who have not responded and he will prepare court order to go into the property to abandon.
Tucker will be burning all day tomorrow. DNR has approved, Washburn County and Sheriff have been notified. Will watch closely, should be mostly burned down by evening.
Depoister asked about phones/communication issues. Need to have phone checked. Seems to be a one time issue.
Trucks and equipment are in good shape.
Citizen comments: Zillmer: would like upcharge/surcharge for garbage billing addressed. BFCESD has only 3 EMTS to cover 24/7/375. Inappropriate conduct at BFCESD meetings, public bidding issues, donations by certain contractors, looking for help from this board to help move this project along. Recommend signed agreement on ATV signs re responsibility.
- Motion by Small to approve the current agenda with moving closed session and open session to end, second by Seffinga. Open session moves with closed session, Depoister.
- VanGilder approves February 2019 Board of Trustee Meeting Minutes, second by Depoister. Carried 4-0.
- New Business
a.) Operator’s License for Emma Hindes. Motion to approve by Van Gilder, Second by Small. Carried 4-0.
b.) Village Spring Clean Up Day-April 25, 2020. Fall cleanup was $9800 last year. Our budget is $5000. Basic costs discussed. Will need to charge on site for certain items such as tires, mattresses, etc. Blue tickets worked well. We can send out info with utility bills. Motion to approve Republic Services by Small. Seconded by VanGilder. Carried 4-0.
c.) Doolittle Park contract discussion. Sales tax charged to village for dump stations, showers, camping, etc. Customers are not exempt from sales tax for this service. Rates discussed. Motion to approve the contract with new fee of $1850 plus sales tax by Small. Second by VanGilder. Carried 4-0.
d.) Discuss ATV signs/fines for Hinman Drive and Doolittle Park. $500 fine discussed. Ordinance needed. Ordinance Committee will convene and draft the ordinance. Motion to approve by VanGilder. Second by Small. Carried 5-0.
e.) Utility Payment Arrangement and Receipted Dates discussed. Recommend keeping standarded agreement, list and follow through with the disconnect process if not followed. Motion to approve by Small. Second by Seffinga. Carried 4-0.
f.) Discuss bid for shop roof replacement. Motion to approve Zac Myers Construction by VanGilder. Second by Small. Carried 4-0.
g.) Special Event Permit for Spring Fling May 23, 2020 with rain date following weekend for ColorRun and sign posting approval will move to next month. Motion to approve by Small. Second by VanGilder. Carried 4-0.
h.) Construction manager contract for new fire hall. Northwest Builders to be the construction manager. $50K retainer. Project must start within next 12 months. Project will still go out for bids.
Motion to approve construction manager contract for BFCESD by Small. Second by Seffinga. . Carried 4-0.
i.) BFCESD bylaws still being tweaked, tabled.
- BFCESD- Bylaws being tweaked. No other report.
- Street Committee – No report at this time.
- Parks Committee – discussed Pavilion upgrades/steel wrapping and estimate from Greeners/Zac Myers. Doolittle beach bash budget was cut from $1200 to $500. Discussed funding to help, i.e. Walmart or other… keep as just a community fun event. Small will work on prizes for kids. Suggested any fundraising goes back to the park. possibly a donation for the food. Village will pay for the DJ. We will work on the details
- Ordinance Committee – No report.
- Motion to approve New Bills, Payroll and acceptance of Treasurer’s Report for December. Carried 4-0.
- Correspondence: None
- Motion by Small, second by Hurchman to return to open session.
- Motion to adjourn by Small, second by Seffinga to adjourn. Carried 4-0.
Ashley Beffa – Clerk/Treasurer