Village of Birchwood Board Members held a meeting at the Birchwood Village Hall, August 4, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. The meeting was called to order, pledge of allegiance was recited, roll call present: Seffinga, VanGilder, Zillmer, Small and Hurckman. Also present: Maintenance Dept. Beffa, Chief of Police Brunclik, Clerk-Treasurer Busick, Deputy Clerk-Treasurer Murley, MSA-Anderson and Rasmussen, Auditor Dan Thole, Lisa and Bob Longacre.
Police Report – Brunclik reported a third of the calls were for Town of Edgewater. There was one arrest at Bluegill Fest. The cleanup was good on Friday night but on Saturday night some alcoholic beverages were left and not cleaned up. Adam will be working on an advertisement for the Med Collection Box located at the Village Hall.
Public Recognition – Teresa Andersen from MSA asked the board if they wanted them to submit paperwork for the Clean Water Fund to be used the Maintenance of the Water Tower. Dan Thole report on the Water Rate Increase from $1.85 per thousand to $4.00 per thousand. This is the suggestion from the PSC. If anyone have concerns or questions prior to the public hearing please contact Dan Thole from Clifton Larson Allen. The Public Hearing will be held on September 1, 2015. New Rates will go into effect October 1, 2015 or for the 4th quarter.
Maintenance Department – Beffa reported the Village will need to address the DNR Water Survey, Cross Connect Ordinance, and Well Abandonment Ordinance. Staab will be coming the week of August 10, 2015 to work on some issues with the WWTP.
- Motion by VanGilder, second by Small to approve the agenda as written, 5-0.
** Motion by Zillmer to move back to Public Recognition to have Dan Thole report on the Water Rate Increase, second by Small, carried 5-0.
- MSA Teresa Anderson updated the Board on the Main Street Project which started on August 3, 2015.
- Teresa Andersen from MSA discussed the change order. Pember would like to use crushed rock instead of sand because it will create a better foundation and it will be easier to walk on. The change order will be $3031.81. Motion by Small to approve the Change Order in the amount of $3081.81, second by Seffinga, carried 5-0. Motion by VanGilder to approve Bob Hayes to make change order approvals up to $5000.00, second by Seffinga, carried 4-1. Zillmer opposed because it was not on the agenda.
- Dave Rasmussen was here from MSA for the bid openings. Clerk Busick opened and read the bids: MSA – $8000.00, Ehlers – $6250.00, NW Regional – $6300.00. Motion by Zillmer to accept the bid of $6250.00 from Ehlers, second by Small, Roll Call: Seffinga – No, Small – No, VanGilder – No, Hurckman – No, Zillmer – Yes, motion failed 1-4. Motion by VanGilder to accept bid from MSA Contract for $8000.00, second by Seffinga, Roll Call: Seffinga – Yes, VanGilder – Yes, Small – Yes, Hurckman – Yes, Zillmer – No, Motion carried 4-1.
- Motion by Small to select Dark Grey for the bike racks, second by Seffinga, carried 5-0.
- Discussed the Village spending money to see how much it would cost to remodel the Hall for the Fire and Ambulance Services. Motion by Hurckman to move forward on a renovation plan for the Fire and Ambulance Hall, second by Zillmer, carried 5-0.
- Motion by Small to approve Operator License for Stacy Rurup, second by Hurckman, carried 5-0.
- Handouts were given to the board members of the “do’s and don’ts” of Village Board Meetings.
- Motion by Seffinga to approve the five year road plan, second by VanGilder, carried 5-0.
carried 4-1 Zillmer opposing because she was not for the project.
- Zillmer talked about the Connect Communities Program, she stated this is a good networking opportunity and the annual membership cost is $200.00. The Village will ask the Birchwood Chamber of Commerce for a donation of $100.00. Motion by Zillmer to continue as a member of Connect Communities, second by Seffinga, carried 5-0.
Committee Reports – None
Motion by Small to approval of the Minutes, New Bills, Payroll and acceptance of the Treasurer’s Report, second Zillmer, carried 5-0.
Correspondence: President Hurckman read a letter of resignation effective August 14, 2015 from Deputy Clerk-Treasurer Murley.
Motion by Small to adjourn at 8:00 p.m., second by Seffinga, carried 5-0
The next Village Board Meeting has been moved to Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 6:00 p.m.