The Village of Birchwood Trustees held the July meeting on Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. The meeting was called to order by Village President, John Depoister. Roll Call: Depoister, Hurckman, Small, Seffinga, and VanGilder – present. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Police Report –Vacationed a few weeks in July. No major incidences reported. Attended sniper training with surrounding counties. Speed trailer to be setup a few days and weekends. Burned house torn down and gone.
Maintenance Report – Discussed progress on wells in the village; 5 wells in use reported back and few have not, Tucker will be in contact with them. A few addresses were missing; will work with clerk to get info updated. Letters with step by step process mailed to residents, also includes Tucker’s contact information for questions. Information posted on village website. Mowing keeping Ron busy. Village wells are in full order. Lift station issues resolved. Residents with leaking toilets causing increase in sewer plant numbers have been located and Michelle in Washburn County was contacted to fix. Significant bill. Tucker and Ron both called this past winter reporting the increase when they noticed high lift station readings. Skate park completed. Tennis/pickle court complete with two colored lines. Young man doing community service to paint ball fields and Doolittle sign. Propane tank in need of paint job, requested by Depoister. Tank is owned by the village says Tucker.
Public Comment –
Linda Zillmer requests agenda item to discuss/action of East Hill Subdivision payment of lieu of taxes. Met with clerk/treasure on lack of details of agenda items. Used example of discuss/action for new building inspector. Current UDC Building Inspector lacks requirements as required by village ordinances for Building Inspector and Zoning Administrator. June Parks Committee Meeting did not note whether structures or boat lift would be allowed through August. Was to be brought to the Village Board; violation of ordinance. BFCESD firehall referendum and public bid has not happened, therefor agenda items should not be moving forward. Topics need to be discussed at Village Board Meeting first. Lack of attention will cost village taxpayers money.
- Motion by VanGilder, second by Hurckman to approve agenda, carried 5-0.
- Motion by Hurckman, second by Seffinga to approve minutes from June 11th, 2019 Board Meeting, carried 5-0.
- Discussion to hire new building inspector; one who agrees to be both the building inspector and zoning administrator for the village.
- Discussion on DNR Compliance Maintenance Resolution goes along with well abandonment DNR Resolution.
- Action to upgrade lift stations to 4G network at a cost of $299 per unit plus $35 one time shipping cost. 3G network will no longer be available as of December 31st per Verizon, Omni’s representative predicts 4G network to be available through to the year 2025, and insurance option does not allow cancellation which potentially could lead to higher overall cost. Motion by Small, second by Seffinga, carried 5-0.
- Action to approve Quality Propane in the amount of $7,000; pre-buy rate of $1.19 per gallon and same quantity as last year. Motion by Depoister, second by Seffinga, carried 5-0.
- Action to approve street closure between Greener’s and the bank for the Craft Show held during Bluegill Festival, July 20th from 7 a.m to 3:30 p.m. Motion by Small, second by VanGilder., carried 5-0.
- Action to approve Special Event Permit for Woodcrafters Fair/Lions Club Brat/Corn Fee. Motion by Depoister, second by Small, carried 5-0.
- Action to approve building permit for 712 Knapmiller Rd, owner Daniel Wichser requesting to build 1ft from property line of 800 Knapmiller Rd. Property owner Rocky VanGilder present; states “ok with it” and “would approve a variance”. Current 8ft porch attached to resident is 3ft to lot line and needs to be removed as it no longer sound; adding 10 feet onto the house leaving 1 ft to the lot line next to neighbor’s garage. Discussion by Small in recognition of ordinance; cost to village residents and property owner affected is present. Motion to grant variance by Seffinga, second by Hurckman, carried 4-0. VanGilder cannot vote.
- Committee Meetings: BFCESD – Commissioners need of discussion of referendum by village board; special meeting scheduled for July 15th at 5:30 p.m. Street Committee – No future meeting scheduled. Parks Committee to schedule meeting in August with the people at Doolittle Park. Water/Sewer Committee – One does not exist currently; Tucker discussed Governor Evers and DNR grants fixing small community water/sewer dead ends. Suggests getting a move on this. Ordinance Meeting – Scheduled for July 24th at 2 p.m.
- Motion by Hurckman, second by Small to approve new bills, payroll and accept Treasurer’s Report., carried 5-0.
- Discussion on response letter by Jim Schmitz on nuisance property.
- Motion by Depoister, no second to convene in closed session regarding a “few issues”; Hurckman, Depoister, Small, Seffinga, and VanGilder. No carry vote.
- Motion by Small, seconded by Seffinga to adjourn meeting.
Submitted Ashley Beffa, Clerk/Treasurer